hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Feb 15, 2015 6:21 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Two Taken To Southampton Hospital With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Feb 17, 2015 2:47 PM

Two Southampton Village residents were taken to Southampton Hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning on Sunday morning.

The two individuals—fire department officials did not identify the people involved or their ages or gender—told officials that they had turned off a carbon monoxide monitor in their home on Heady Creek Lane on Saturday night because it was beeping, and they thought it was defective.

The two individuals called 911 at 11:54 a.m. and reported that they didn't feel well. They were transported to Southampton Hospital by the Southampton Village Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

Southampton Fire Department volunteers entered the home and found that the carbon monoxide was leaking from a burner pipe in the basement. Fire officials recorded a reading of 950 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the home.

Most home carbon monoxide detectors will sound a full alarm at 400 ppm after 15 minutes or less of exposure; conditions can be life-threating within three hours at 400 ppm.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

They turned it off? Lucky to be alive!
By greeneyedlady (55), East Quogue on Feb 16, 15 8:24 AM