clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Story - News

Aug 3, 2019 6:22 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

UPDATE: Police Provide More Details About Fatal Boating Accident Saturday In Peconic Bay

Aug 5, 2019 12:59 PM

UPDATE: Sunday, 1 p.m.

Detective Lieutenant James Kiernan of the Southampton Town Police Department on Sunday confirmed that the incident occurred between Southold and Southampton in the Peconic Bay on a pontoon boat.

Four people were on board at the time of the incident: a man, who was operating the boat; his wife; their 13-year-old niece; and 65-year-old woman who was the cousin of the operator.

The 13-year-old and 65-year-old were being pulled by the boat on a tube. They both fell off, Det. Lt. Kiernan said. The boat came around to pick them up, and as the 13-year-old jumped back onto the boat, the 65-year-old replied that she couldn’t. She was in distress and hanging onto the boat, he said.

At some point, the woman became unconscious. It is unknown at this time if she had some type of medical emergency or what the cause of death is, Det. Lt. Kiernan said. When police responded, the woman was already dead. A medical examiner will be examining the body, and no criminality is apparent.

ORIGINAL STORY: Saturday, 6 p.m.

A 65-year-old woman was pronounced dead on Saturday afternoon after she fell off a tube being pulled by a boat, Southampton Town Police said.

On Saturday at about 1:30 p.m., the Southampton Town Police Department received a 911 call regarding a victim of a boating incident, reportedly in Peconic Bay.

The woman and a 13-year-old girl were reported to have fallen off a tube being pulled by a boat, police said in a press release. The young girl was pulled back onto the boat, but the woman was unable to get back into the boat. Police said she possibly suffered a medical condition and became unconscious, according to police.

Southampton Town Police officers, bay constables, Suffolk County Police Aviation and Hampton Bays Ambulance responded to the incident. Suffolk County Aviation was ultimately able to locate the drifting vessel and directed responding marine units to the location where the woman was able to be pulled from the water.

The woman was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene. Southampton Town Police detectives are investigating the incident. The identity of the victim is being withheld until family can be notified.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

And why weren’t Fire Departments called. Local FD water rescue squads train with the USCG and have mutual aid agreements with ambulance squads. Did the Bay Constables have medical personnel aboard? Or was this a freelance job by the Bay Constables? And why wasn’t the USCG mentioned? They have jurisdiction on all water emergencies, yet, the press didn’t mention them.

By Draggerman (955), Southampton on Aug 3, 19 7:43 PM
I was monitoring this as best I could and I was shocked to hear that volunteer fire departments were not activated. Based on the information I heard over the scanner, Southampton, North Sea, Hampton Bays, Flanders, Riverhead, Jamesport, Mattituck, and Cutchogue Fire Departments SHOULD have been activated but the Southampton town clam cops wanted to handle it. Eventually, southold and Riverhead police boats were dispatched but it was too little, too late.
When you have a situation like this, ...more
By EastEnder17 (3), East Hampton on Aug 3, 19 9:00 PM
2 members liked this comment
Concur. The Bay Constables refuse to acknowledge viable local resources.

And again I ask, why wasn’t the USCG involved? Did SH Town dispatch not convey the case to the Coasties?

My question really is: if the Bay Constables had activated The FDs, would the victim be a patient? We will never know.
By Draggerman (955), Southampton on Aug 3, 19 9:57 PM
2 members liked this comment
What was the time from dispatch to recovery of victim? Was the NSFD boat closer?

By Draggerman (955), Southampton on Aug 5, 19 7:19 AM