WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf
27east.com

Story - News

Aug 16, 2016 2:53 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Southampton Village Sexual Assault And Home Invasion Suspect Faces Indictment

Marvin Siciliano-Nunez was scheduled to be arraigned in Suffolk County Criminal Court on Wednesday. MICHAEL WRIGHT
Aug 17, 2016 1:24 PM

A Hampton Bays man accused of breaking into a house in Southampton Village and sexually assaulting a woman has been indicted and was arraigned Wednesday on seven felony charges.

Marvin Saul Siciliano-Nunez, 20, appeared before Acting State Supreme Court Justice Barbara Kahn in Suffolk County Criminal Court in Riverhead on Wednesday and was formally charged and arraigned on the felony charges, as well as three misdemeanors.

Mr. Siciliano-Nunez is being represented by legal aid attorney David Geller, who entered a not guilty plea to the charges—despite the fact that prosecutors say Mr. Nunez confessed to the crimes when police apprehended him near the scene of the August 5 home invasion.

Mr. Geller also sought a lower bail amount, but Justice Kahn told him the prosecution “appears to have a strong case.” She said the charges were serious enough to set bail at $350,000 cash or $750,000 bond. Mr. Siciliano-Nunez failed to post bail and is being held at the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside.

Responding to a report of a possible sexual assault on Little Plains Road on August 5, Southampton Village Police said they found Mr. Siciliano-Nunez nearby and that as they approached him, he ran off, leading to a chase. He was apprehended shortly afterward.

Southampton Village Justice Court documents show that Mr. Siciliano-Nunez is accused not only of burglarizing multiple buildings at the Little Plains Road property, taking jewelry, a cellphone and a skateboard.

Police said while burglarizing the main house, he discovered a 19-year-old woman who had been sleeping in the house, and forced her to perform oral sex while threatening her with a baseball bat.

The woman broke away and, according to a witness who was working at a construction site at the corner of Little Plains Road and Herrick Road, ran out of the house naked, chased by a man with a baseball bat. Witnesses gave chase, and Mr. Siciliano-Nunez was arrested by Village Police a short distance away.

An undocumented worker from El Salvador, Mr. Siciliano-Nunez faces several counts of burglary in the first degree and second degree, sexual abuse in the first degree, attempted rape in the first degree, and criminal sex act in the first degree, all felonies, as well as two counts of criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation, and one of resisting arrest, all misdemeanors.

Earlier this week, Southampton Village Justice Court officials said Mr. Siciliano-Nunez’s case had been transferred to the Suffolk County Criminal Court system. They also said an indictment had been handed up by a grand jury. A temporary restraining order also was filed against Mr. Siciliano-Nunez by the victim.

On August 6, Southampton Village Justice Barbara Wilson originally ordered Mr. Siciliano-Nunez to be remanded to the county jail in Riverside on $2 million cash bail or $4 million bond.

Mr. Siciliano-Nunez was one of four men arrested in May in connection with what Southampton Town Police said was the assault and stabbing of two men outside a bar in Hampton Bays. Town Police had charged him with two counts of first-degree gang assault, a felony charge of injuring another person with the aid of two or more persons that is punishable with as many as 25 years in prison. Those charges are pending, but sources say the charges in that case might be dropped by prosecutors because of lack of evidence.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in