hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Aug 23, 2011 10:07 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Police Standoff In North Sea Ends Peacefully

Aug 24, 2011 11:31 AM

A suicidal man barricaded himself in his North Sea home on Sunday night in a standoff with Southampton Town 
Police officers and pointed 
what appeared to be a revolver at police. The gun turned out 
to be a starting pistol and no 
one was injured, authorities said.

The standoff on North Sea-Mecox Road began at about 5:30 p.m. and lasted for about 90 minutes until officers were able to enter the home and subdue the man. Police said that a police negotiator could not establish a dialogue with the man, and that officers backed out of the house when the gun was brandished and the man slammed an inside door in an officer’s face.

Officers did not fire any shots during the incident but set up a perimeter and called in the Southampton Town Police Emergency Services Unit for assistance. They were eventually able to enter the house through a side door, police said. A woman who was in the house at the time was unharmed, they said.

The man—whom police declined to identify—was arrested and charged with menacing in the third degree and contempt of court, both misdemeanors. Officers said they issued him an appearance ticket.

Man Charged With DWI

A Connecticut man was arrested on Saturday night in Bridgehampton after Southampton Town Police said he drove 
drunk with four children in his car.

Robert K. Futterman, 52, of Greenwich was driving a blue 2011 Porsche on the Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike shortly after 10 p.m. when he was pulled over for failing to maintain his lane, officers said. He failed several sobriety tests, police said.

Because Mr. Futterman had four minors in the car—two 16-year-olds, a 15-year-old and a 12-year-old—he was also charged with violating Leandra’s Law, which elevates a DWI charge to a felony if there is a child younger than 16 in the car.

Police could not say whether the children were Mr. Futterman’s.

Mr. Futterman was taken into custody at 10:27 p.m. and charged with aggravated DWI under Leandra’s Law. He was also charged with four counts of endangering the welfare of a child and one count of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, both misdemeanors, and moving from his lane unsafely, a violation.

Mr. Futterman posted $2,000 bail following his Sunday morning arraignment in Southampton Town Justice Court and is due back in court on October 19, court officials said.

Larceny Charges Are Levied

Southampton Town Police said they arrested an East Moriches man on Sunday night for stealing items from a car in Remsenburg earlier this month.

Ronald C. Murphy, 18, was arrested at police headquarters on Old Riverhead Road in Hampton Bays at 10:23 p.m. on Sunday and charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree, a felony, petit larceny, a misdemeanor, and harassment in the second degree, a violation. Police said he stole a credit card and approximately $150 in cash from a 2004 Jeep that was left unlocked on Crestview Drive in Remsenburg on August 11.

Mr. Murphy was remanded to the Suffolk County Jail in Riverside in lieu of $6,000 bail following an arraignment in Southampton Town Justice Court, officials said. He is to return to court on Friday, August 26.

Teens Charged With Robbery

Two teenage boys were arrested by Southampton Town Police on Monday and accused of robbing a man in Riverside of his pants.

Officers said a 16-year-old Riverhead teen was taken into custody at 1:46 a.m. at police headquarters on Old Riverhead Road in Hampton Bays and charged with robbery in the second degree, a felony.

Police said the teen robbed the victim near the Valero gas station on Peconic Avenue. He forcibly removed the man’s pants, which contained $22 in cash and a Samsung cellphone.

The victim, also of Riverhead, told police he was approached by the teens, who punched and kicked him numerous times in the head and on his body, before fleeing along Peconic Avenue into Riverhead.

The victim suffered multiple abrasions and bruises.

Officers said they caught up to the teens and arrested them shortly after the robbery.

Police could not confirm the age or place of residence of the second suspect, nor could they confirm that he faced the same charge as the 16-year-old.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

helicopter noise made him snap
By unjustifiedjustice2 (35), East Quogue on Aug 23, 11 11:13 AM
This comment has been removed because it is a duplicate, off-topic or contains inappropriate content.
By uncleronk (136), southold on Aug 23, 11 12:19 PM
unjustifiedjustice? What kind of a tag is that? Apparently you know nothing of the area in which the incident happened and you have no idea of the trouble the family may have been enduring.
Just happy to know that no one was hurt. And hoping there is a silver lining to this families cloud.
By summertime (589), summerfield fl on Aug 23, 11 12:35 PM
Before you criticize someone else's personal opinion, whether appropriate or not, correct your own grammatical and word usage errors.
By eaf (1), Hamptons on Aug 23, 11 11:30 PM
which stand off, the one in North Sea, or the apparently home bound people who want to talk about everything other than the article.
By just breath (82), yuck on Aug 24, 11 9:59 AM