WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
hamptons local events, express news group
27east.com

Story - News

Aug 3, 2016 11:39 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Lawyer: Flanders Man Did Not Attack Men Outside Hampton Bays Bar In May

Aug 3, 2016 11:47 AM

The attorney representing one of the four men charged in the double stabbing outside a Hampton Bays bar in May said this week that his client is innocent.

Carlos Gutierrez-Zacupa, 23, of Flanders did not stab either of the two victims during an altercation outside of Charlie Brown’s Bar and Grill in the early morning hours of May 21, his lawyer, Antonio Salva of Bay Shore, said after attending a hearing last Thursday, July 28, inside Southampton Town Justice Court.

“Our client is innocent,” said Mr. Salva, who picked up the case shortly after his client was arrested, following last week’s hearing held in an empty courtroom before Town Justice Andrea H. Schiavoni.

Mr. Gutierrez-Zacupa was released from the Suffolk County Jail on his own recognizance on May 26—five days after the double stabbing that nearly killed one of the victims—even though his bail was originally set at $250,000 cash bail. Luis Linares-Chavez, 22, of Westhampton, and Marvin Siciliano-Nunez, 19, of Hampton Bays, two of the suspects in the same incident, were released from custody on the same day and also on their own recognizance, according to jail officials. It was not immediately clear why the terms of their bail arrangement changed.

The fourth suspect, Nelvin Ramos-Andrades, 18, of Hampton Bays, was discharged from prison on May 26 and handed off to immigration authorities, officials said.

It was not immediately clear when Mr. Ramos-Andrades, Mr. Linares-Chavez, and Mr. Siciliano-Nunez would appear next in court. Mr. Gutierrez-Zacupa’s next court date is September 22.

Mr. Salva said his client, who attended last week’s hearing in street clothes and never addressed the court, was at the West Montauk Highway bar only because he needed to pick up his father’s car.

Though he declined to say which one was responsible for the attack that left one of the victims hospitalized for several weeks, Mr. Salva said one of the three other men charged in the stabbing is responsible. All four men have been charged with two counts of first-degree gang assault, a felony that is punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Mr. Linares-Chavez was additionally charged with driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, a misdemeanor.

The older of the two victims, a 30-year-old man from Riverhead, was stabbed multiple times in the torso with a large knife, according to Southampton Town Police. The other victim, a 23-year-old man from Riverhead, was also stabbed and spent two days in a hospital recovering.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

_"It was not immediately clear why the terms of their bail arrangement changed" Maybe a journalist should look into this, no?
By elliot (254), sag harbor on Aug 6, 16 1:19 PM