WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf
27east.com

Story - News

Aug 22, 2019 4:50 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Democratic Party Candidate David Mayer Drops Out Of Southampton Town Trustee Race

Democratic Party candidate David Mayer announced on Thursday morning that he was dropping out of the Southampton Town Trustee race. GREG WEHNER
Aug 23, 2019 2:32 PM

Southampton Town Trustee candidate David Mayer announced on Thursday morning that he was withdrawing from the race so that he could focus on his family.

“To all my supporters and friends, I regret to inform you that due to familial reasons, I am terminating my campaign for Southampton Town Trustee,” the 39-year-old Hampton Bays resident said in an email. “I appreciate all the support I received and encouragement to run for office.”

The Southampton Democratic Party nominating committee selected Mr. Mayer to run for Trustee in February, alongside Eileen Duffy, who no longer is on the ballot.

In June, Mr. Mayer collected enough votes during the Democratic Party primary election to win a spot on the November ballot.

Joining him on the Democratic Party line in November are incumbents Bill Pell and Ann Welker, along with Andrew Brosnan and former Trustee President Eric Shultz.

Mr. Mayer decided to run for Trustee because of what he referred to as “bad land deals and a lack of creativity.”

“I truly wanted to help turn the ship around and bring ‘trust’ back to the Trustees,” he said in his announcement on Thursday. “But, after some unforeseen health issues in my family, I’m choosing to put my family before politics.

“I’m doing what I have to do at this time for my family,” he added in another email. “I always put my family first. I think it’s important that the people know I’m dropping out, before making their decision in November.”

Southampton Democratic Party leader Gordon Herr said Mr. Mayer’s name will still appear on the ballot, despite his dropping out of the race.

Even though Mr. Mayer’s name will appear on the ballot, Mr. Herr said he could not recall a time in the past 12 years that a candidate dropped out of the race and earned enough votes to get elected. That’s a bridge that he said his party will have to cross if and when it happens.

“He’s got some major family issues and personal issues, and people have to do what they need to do,” Mr. Herr said.

“It doesn’t affect us at all,” Mr. Herr said of Mr. Mayer’s announcement. Mr. Herr said he was confident the Democratic Party would take control of the Town Trustee board with the slate of candidates it has on the ballot.

Facing off with the Democratic Party candidates in the Trustee race in November will be Republican Party candidates Ed Warner Jr. and Scott Horowitz, both incumbents, along with Megan Heckman, Don Law and Thea Dombrowski-Fry.

The elections will take place on Tuesday, November 5.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

Who else is running??? Total news...
By knitter (1859), Southampton on Aug 23, 19 9:48 AM
Joe Biden was in Southampton for a fundraiser Saturday but neither he or anyone else realized it. Joe said it was good to be back in New Jersey again.
By themarlinspike (483), Northern Hemisphere on Aug 25, 19 3:44 PM
That's interesting. Did he mention anything about buying Greenland? I hear it's for sale or not for sale or maybe we should prevent US companies from operating in China. Maybe we should ask Wayne LaPierre what to do, once he's done buying fancy silk suits and big houses from money donated by the Russian government to the NRA.

Oops, the President says his foot hurts, you know, the one that kept him out of Vietnam but doesn't keep him from playing 10 rounds of golf each month.

So ...more
By dfree (782), hampton bays on Aug 25, 19 4:48 PM
Which years did you serve in Vietnam ?
By themarlinspike (483), Northern Hemisphere on Aug 26, 19 8:01 AM
Did the fish go fight?
If so, thanks for your service.
If not, nevermind.
By Fore1gnBornHBgrown (7676), HAMPTON BAYS on Aug 26, 19 8:26 AM
Don't worry, nobody ever depends on you for anything.
By themarlinspike (483), Northern Hemisphere on Aug 26, 19 8:30 AM
Non-answer from Fish.
I'm no veteran, is he?
If not, why so rude?
By Fore1gnBornHBgrown (7676), HAMPTON BAYS on Aug 26, 19 8:36 AM
President Trump had his father pay a bribe to the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School to get a transfer from Fordham to extend his student deferments, when that ran out the father of the President of the United States paid a bribe to a podiatrist to get a signed statement declaring that our endlessly golfing President has bone spurs in his foot to get a permanent draft dodging disability.

There is proof of all this, someone has gone through the effort of FOILing it for you.

Winning! ...more
By dfree (782), hampton bays on Aug 26, 19 9:47 AM
themarlinspike There is some TRUTH in what you misquote in jest. Due to all these developers ... in attendance at the TRUMP / REPUBLICAN fundraiser, Southampton Town is starting to look like New Jersey (and not the best part of NJ)! Can bottle water be next?
By SpeedRacer (152), Southampton on Aug 26, 19 12:29 PM
2 members liked this comment
dfree, They say ... "When you see something, say something". So, now that you obviously have seen and said something about The Southampton Democratic Party, you should tell us more. November elections are coming up fast.
By HamptonClassic (110), Southampton on Aug 26, 19 12:20 PM
1 member liked this comment
Abraham: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
Sampson: I do bite my thumb, sir.
Abraham: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
Sampson (to Gregory): Is the law of our side if I say ay?
Gregory: No.
Sampson: No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you sir; but I bite my thumb, sir.
Gregory: Do you quarrel, sir?
Abraham: Quarrel, sir? No, sir.
Sampson: If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.
Abraham: No better.
...
Mercutio: ...A plague o' both ...more
By dfree (782), hampton bays on Aug 26, 19 12:45 PM
1 member liked this comment
dfree Interesting response, quoting from Romeo & Juliet.

Unfortunately, voters need a more detailed response from you, heading towards

the November election .... that's if, you care to provide this community service

And remember ... "Love is never having to say you're sorry"
By HamptonClassic (110), Southampton on Aug 26, 19 2:48 PM
Remember Fred Havameyer for the write in. He was the guy that kept the group together. Biggest vote getter of all and not beholding to the politicians and special interests...
By knitter (1859), Southampton on Aug 28, 19 7:41 AM
Why isn't Fred on the ballot? Only local politician that stands up to the special interests.
Wait, what? I guess I answered my own question.
By dfree (782), hampton bays on Aug 28, 19 3:16 PM
southamptonfest, hamptons funraiser, southampton rotary