WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
Lawn Doctor, Hamptons, Lawn Care, Mosquito Control, Tick Control. Lawn Maintenance
27east.com

Story - News

Apr 18, 2019 3:01 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Suffolk County Correction Officer Indicted And Faces Additional Charges After New Victim Is Found

Robert Weis was arrested and faces sexual abuse charges. DANA SHAW
Apr 23, 2019 12:10 PM

A Suffolk County correction officer, who was charged earlier this month with sexually abusing a minor multiple times over the course of several years, was indicted and arraigned in Suffolk County Criminal Court on April 17 and now faces additional charges after a second victim came forward with similar accusations.

Robert Weis, 55, of Hampton Bays was arrested shortly after leaving his house on April 4 after a 29-year-old man reported to Southampton Town Police in March that he had been sexually abused by Mr. Weis numerous times between the ages of 7 and 16.

After becoming aware of Mr. Weis’s arrest, a second victim came forward to police and alleged that he had been sexually abused by Mr. Weis when he was younger than 13 years old, according to a press release from Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy Sini’s office sent out last week.

Police said Mr. Weis was driving an 11-year-old boy—described as a friend of the family whom he was watching—to school at the time of his arrest. The boy was not described by police as a victim of abuse.

A search of Mr. Weis’s home, according to Southampton Town Police Chief Steven Skrynecki, revealed three unregistered handguns, 32 long rifles and 50,000 rounds of ammunition. Detectives also found numerous pieces of stolen equipment from the Suffolk County Correctional Facility where Mr. Weis has worked since 1995, including bulletproof vests, handcuffs and EMT equipment, authorities said.

Mr. Weis was originally charged with first-degree course of sexual conduct against a child, a class B felony, three counts of criminal possession of a firearm, a class E felony, and possession of stolen property, a class D felony.

Along with those charges, he now faces one additional count of first-degree course of sexual conduct against a child and two counts of first-degree sodomy, a class B felony.

Mr. Weis pleaded not guilty to the charges at his arraignment last week.

“This is the sort of defendant we wish we never had to deal with,” Mr. Sini said in the press release. “The crimes that he is alleged to have committed undoubtedly destroyed lives. We will continue to investigate his conduct and do everything in our power to bring justice to those victims.”

Along with the arsenal in Mr. Weis’s home, Mr. Sini said at a press conference on April 5 that DVDs were recovered from the house and are being investigated as possibly containing child pornography; one was titled “Age Is Just a Number.”

In 2016, Mr. Weis also was accused in South Carolina of abusing a 13-year-old male relative. He was released from jail after posting $100,000 bond. That case is still pending.

He worked at a Suffolk County Correctional Facility as a quartermaster, a position authorities assigned him to following the South Carolina charges, and for which he is not allowed to carry a weapon.

Mr. Weis has been a foster parent for 15 years and has legally adopted five children, according to Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Laurie Moroff. All five are males with intellectual disabilities and are now between the ages of 19 and 26 years old.

Southampton Village-based attorney James O’Shea of O’Shea Marcincuk and Bruyn is representing Mr. Weis. The next scheduled court date for the case is April 30.

Mr. Weis was originally held on $1 million cash bail and $3 million bond. During arraignment on the indictment by Acting Suffolk County Court Judge Karen M. Wilutis on April 17, bail was increased to $5 million cash or $15 million bond, which he failed to post.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

power tools, home improvements, building supplies, Eastern Long Island