meghan heckman, 2019 election

Story - News

Sep 2, 2019 12:49 PMPublication: The East Hampton Press

East Hampton Firefighters Rescue Two Dogs From A House Fire On Sunday

At 12:24 p.m. on Sunday, September 1st, 2019 members of the East Hampton Fire Department were called to extinguish a working deck fire at 225 Old Northwest Road. MICHAEL HELLER/EAST HAMPTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
Sep 3, 2019 12:20 PM

Two dogs were rescued from a house fire in Northwest Woods on Sunday by members of the East Hampton Fire Department.

At 12:27 p.m. on Sunday, a person hiking on a nearby trail contacted dispatchers to report smoky columns rising from the trees near 225 Old Northwest Road.

According to East Hampton Fire Department Chief Gerard Turza Jr., the dispatcher took several calls reporting “heavy smoke” in that area.

Chief Turza said the fire had started on the rear deck and spread up the side of the two-story building. No one was home at the time, but, as the firefighters searched the home, they discovered an incapacitated dog. A thorough search of the house also located a crate with a puppy inside. Neither dog was barking. Both dogs were rescued.

“A few more minutes and they would’ve passed out and died on us,” Chief Turza said, adding that once they got some fresh air, they were fine.

He called the Northwest Woods an “area of concern” due to a lack of public water, lightly populated homes that are set back from the road, and poor cellphone connections.

When Chief Turza arrived, he said, the fire had broken the windows on the first and second floors and was extending inside the residence.

Chief Turza said the firefighters made an “aggressive attack,” adding that there was zero visibility inside the house. After the flames were put out, the people renting the home returned to find the firefighters on the scene. They had stepped out for a couple of hours, Mr. Turza said.

The fire was knocked down in 10 minutes, he said.

Mutual aid from Sag Harbor, Springs and Amagansett was called for but called off once the fire was under control. The Sag Harbor Fire Department’s rapid intervention team was also contacted in case East Hampton firefighters needed to be rescued. The East Hampton Village Ambulance also reported to the scene.

The home sustained significant fire damage to the roof, siding and windows, in addition to water damage.

Mr. Turza said the fire wasn’t suspicious, and that it seemed as if an unattended candle on the deck started the fire. Town Fire Marshal Dwayne Denton is conducting an investigation.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

Great job to the firefighters who saved the families dogs inside!
By CampHero (9), East Quogue on Sep 2, 19 5:37 PM
1 member liked this comment
They found the dogs by chance. Lucky, lucky dogs. The firefighters didn't know going in that any pets lived there, but they could have. Lots of pet supply websites sell big red stickers you can customize to alert emergency responders to the number and type of pets living in the house. We have one next to our front door and another on the back door. I learned a tough lesson years ago after leaving something on the stove for too long that dogs will hide in fear from smoke, which makes them harder ...more
By juliacmead (11), East Hampton on Sep 5, 19 11:34 AM
power tools, home improvements, building supplies, Eastern Long Island