hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Jul 30, 2013 3:00 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Closure Of County Road 39 Frustrates Business Owners, Workers

Jul 30, 2013 4:18 PM

The prolonged closure of County Road 39 in Southampton last Thursday morning—investigators had all four lanes shut down for nearly nine hours following the 7 a.m. fatal accident—also brought business on the East End to a screeching halt as many employees and customers could not reach their jobs or destinations to the east of the Shinnecock Canal.

Though the amount of revenue lost that day varied from company to company and person to person, most employees and employers agreed that the extended closure of the South Fork’s main artery, forcing commuters to slowly snake their way south to Montauk Highway or simply abandon their plans and head back home, essentially cost them either a day’s worth of business or a day’s worth of pay.

“Everyone always says the Hamptons has one way in and one way out,” said Stephanie Martinez, 23, of Hampton Bays who said she was three hours late to work at the Pottery Barn Kids in Southampton on July 25 due to the fatal crash. “Well, when that one way is shut down between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., things can get kind of crazy.”

While it has never done a study that focuses on how traffic affects business in the area, or how much revenue is generated each summer day among its members, Southampton Chamber of Commerce President Micah Schlendorf said it was fair to assume that the exact financial impact on a company depends on its location and the type of business involved.

And some of those located off of County Road 39, closest to the accident scene, appear to have suffered the worst.

David Wiesneski, who runs Cafe Crust along the four-lane corridor, said his shop lost about $2,500 worth of business last Thursday, despite a late dinner rush. “It was absolutely, positively dead,” he said. “I had one customer from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.—I usually have a really big morning. Then, we only had about 25 percent of our normal lunch crowd.”

Daniel Schmidt, the part-owner of Schmidt’s Market in Southampton Village, said his business suffered greatly due to the closure, noting that sales were down about 30 percent on the day. He also said that deliveries—both coming and going—were an issue all day.

“Our deliveries came in very late in the afternoon, and we were able to make our deliveries, but they took an extra five hours,” Mr. Schmidt said. “Not only did we lose money, though, but a few of our workers missed out on about four hours of work. It hurts us all.”

Those in the delivery business, as well as those who rely on deliveries, also had a frustrating day. Alice Bell, the senior vice president and brokerage manager of Sotheby’s in Southampton, said FedEx contacted them and said they would be unable to pickup or deliver packages in Southampton and locations to the east that day. A FedEx spokesman could not be reached for comment, but some other store owners and managers said they received their deliveries that day, albeit much later than expected.

But just to the east of the accident scene, the manager of Spiro’s, a Greek restaurant that sits just east of Sunrise Highway, said business that day was fairly normal.

“I’m glad too, because we only have a small summer season to make money,” said manager Shirley Martinez. “We need every good day we can get.”

Other businesses directly accessible from County Road 39 relayed experiences that fell somewhere in the middle. Workers at Goldberg’s Famous Bagels, for example, reported a slow day overall but noted that their everyday customers still found a way to get there, utilizing their rear entrance.

Other eateries, like Tidewaters restaurant just off Montauk Highway in Hampton Bays, where much of the overflow traffic was redirected, said the closure of County Road 39 had next to no effect on their takings that day. “No impact, either positive or negative,” said an employee answering the phone last Thursday who only wanted to be identified as a manager.

Just down the road, Native Son’s Tobacco on the Shinnecock Reservation saw an uptick in visitors. “But visitors aren’t customers,” explained Niki Preston, an employee at the smoke shop. “We were just being nice to people coming in and saying they’ve been parked in front of our store for two hours and need to use the restroom.”

The Southampton Publick House in Southampton Village was able to open on time last Thursday despite the massive amounts of traffic, though staffers had to be creative with their job assignments for most of the day. Namely, their staff consisted of only a chef, a brewer turned bartender, and an owner turned waiter when they opened for lunch.

About three hours later, general manager Charlene Siraco and waitress Chance Karr were able to squeak through the traffic and help out. “We had a skeleton crew of staff, but we had a decent crowd,” Ms. Karr said. “A lot of locals showed up because they couldn’t leave town if they tried. It was hectic.”

Vlad Rosybal, the manager of Tutto Il Giorno, another village eatery, said they had a few reservation cancellations because patrons were either stuck in traffic or turned around. “It didn’t affect business dramatically,” he added. “It affected the nerves of our staff, who had to sit in traffic and miss an hour or so of work, more than anything.”

On the other side of the shutdown in Hampton Bays, Shawn McGibney, a partner and manager of the restaurant Cowfish, said business was hit pretty hard by the closure, noting that receipts were down about 45 percent at the end of the day. His staff was, on average, only about an hour late getting to work.

“It was rainy though,” said Mr. McGibney, whose restaurant overlooks the water and has outdoor seating. “It could’ve just been the rain driving down business, but if I had to guess, it was the lack of driving, driving down business.”

Crews at another Hampton Bays business, Pooltastic, which cleans and repairs pools across the East End, said each service team was two to three hours behind schedule last Thursday, according to office assistant Dyanne Stolze. She said the appointments they had to cancel for the day made them miss out on about $1,500.

“That money is a small price to pay when someone has lost a loved one” Ms. Stolze added. “It was a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people, but we all got to wake up the next day.”

Many workers also lost wages that day, with most arriving at their destinations several hours later than normal due to the closure.

Sarah Davis, a Hampton Bays resident who works at Michael Kors in East Hampton, said she left her house at 8 a.m. last Thursday and did not make it to the store until noon. “I literally just had my car in park, watching as time passed and money I could be making went out the window,” she said.

Furkan Akyol, a soccer coach for Colonial Sports Group, which runs soccer camps based on the East End, shared a similar experience.

“It took me three hours to get to Flying Point Field from Westhampton.” Mr. Akyol said. “I left my house at 8:20. I was three hours late to a camp that runs for four hours. So, yeah, I’d say the traffic screwed up my day pretty bad.”

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

“That money is a small price to pay when someone has lost a loved one” Ms. Stolze added. “It was a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people, but we all got to wake up the next day.”

Someone with a level head. Unlike the apparent status quo...
By Mr. Z (11847), North Sea on Aug 2, 13 8:04 AM
Build the East End Shuttle on the LIRR tracks, and we can turn this ship toward a sunnier port. (How 's that for a mixed metaphor?).

And ditto to Mr. Z, how easily we forget the painful side of this equation, including the Jitney attendant with a broken leg.
By PBR (4956), Southampton on Aug 2, 13 8:08 AM
For the occasional two deaths in a MVA they have a year is really that much to complain about because you were inconvenienced maybe twice a year! Would like the police to rush through the investigation on your loved one that died just so the public doesn't have to be late to work. You people are greedy complaining you lost wages or you lost business for a day. On the other hand people lost a life for ever... That's worse then your one day loss. Unbelievable! Signs should read welcome to the greedy ...more
By SHTownHB (75), Hampton Bays on Aug 2, 13 4:15 PM
Please stop the politically correct bs. We all understand it is tragic when a life is lost, but11 hours to clean up an accident scene that basically happened in two lanes out of 4? If you travel county road 39 in the morning you'll know it is becoming almost a weekly event of long delays Its not greed it is people that need to work and to get to work.
By chief1 (2800), southampton on Aug 2, 13 6:53 PM
It was determined through the investigation that the woman was texting. As sorry as I feel for her and her family, I am livid that she could have killed someone else driving by all the rules and or possibly their passengers. When we are behind the wheel of a 5 thousand pound vechicle there is nothing more important than keeping our eyes on the road, NOTHING. As far as the businesses losing business, they weren't the ones driving will texting and maybe if some of you owed a business on that road ...more
By lursagirl (245), southampton on Aug 3, 13 12:20 PM
A good part of the why is proximity to the required resources for the investigation. This includes the DOT, either State, or County. These agencies have quite a commute to come out here, and they have to deal with the traffic tie ups as well.
By Mr. Z (11847), North Sea on Aug 3, 13 12:25 PM
Thanks for the information. Did you receive this from someone in one of the agencies investigating (as they have not announced it publicly that I know of)?

One difference between the LIE crashes and this crash (and last year's by the Lobster Inn) is the direct involvement of a commercial vehicle (bus here/truck then), plus the evidence being strewn over most of the entire roadway. Not saying the timing couldn't be improved . . .

And ditto to your point about the need to focus ...more
By PBR (4956), Southampton on Aug 3, 13 12:29 PM
Its a fact, she was texting!
By lursagirl (245), southampton on Aug 3, 13 3:09 PM
And, as requested, please provide the source of your information.
By PBR (4956), Southampton on Aug 3, 13 4:05 PM
A friend of a friend's eyewitness account and another in the know ~ Lady was driving looking down texting, looked up and instead of running into the back of the car in front of her, she swerved into the oncoming lane and hit the Jitney head on. Horribly sad and unfortunate that these devices have people's attention consumed.
By lursagirl (245), southampton on Aug 4, 13 10:09 AM
Thank you, it will be interesting to hear of this in the official police reports. The driver's cell phone records should confirm this, and will give some indication of how much she was texting as she drove east that fateful morning. Insurance companies and the other victims will be interested in this evidence IMO.

Rest in Peace, Ms. Castillo, and condolences to your family.
By PBR (4956), Southampton on Aug 5, 13 6:36 AM
in the same area yesterday afternoon, my husband and I were driving east in the left lane, came to a stop in lots of traffic at the college intersection and 39 and I look at the car next to me on my right and there she was, my possible demise one day, a the multitasking driver, texting and looking up every 5 seconds to see if the light had change. "Scared Norton." I think this is as bad as driving under the influence. I know it will never happen but its a feature on the device that should come ...more
By lursagirl (245), southampton on Aug 5, 13 10:02 PM